A San Diego Escape For Every Type of Traveler
San Diego is truly a city for all seasons, all reasons, and every type of traveler. No matter what kind of experience you’re hoping to have during your visit, chances are you’ll discover it here in “America’s Finest City.” Not sure what category you fall into? Then check out our breakdown here, and see what sounds like the most appealing San Diego escape. Then plan your itinerary, and stop by for a visit!
San Diego is an indisputable gourmet’s paradise. Not only are we a global city with a melting-pot cultural profile, we’re also in the agricultural utopia of California — which means we have immediate access to farm-fresh meats and produce, as well as wild-caught seafood. It all adds up to decidedly delicious dining and cooking. So while you’re here, make the most of it! We suggest:
- Visit one of our Michelin-recognized restaurants. San Diego has countless eateries that have been honored by the legendary gourmand’s guide. You can find them here. Any one would serve a truly memorable meal.
- Take a cooking class. San Diego’s chefs don’t just craft scrumptious plates at our countless restaurants. Many of them also teach what they know. Why not join them, and pick up a few kitchen tips?
Check out a farmers market. Discover just-picked produce, canned goods, artisan crafts, fresh flowers and more. Here’s a handy guide to these bountiful bazaars, courtesy of our sister hotel Humphreys Half Moon Inn.
Dine with an ocean view. San Diego’s beautiful year-round weather makes al fresco eateries a popular choice. Our colleagues at The Dana on Mission Bay have put together a handy overview of some of the best rooftop & outdoor restaurants.
Are you an adrenaline junkie? Then you’re in luck. San Diego’s varied terrain makes activities like rock-climbing and skydiving pretty popular pastimes around here for locals and visitors alike. Plus, we’re an oceanfront city, so water sports are abundant along our more than 70 miles of coastline. Not sure where to start? No problem. We have some suggestions for pulse-pounding adventures you’re sure to enjoy.
- Kayak the La Jolla Coves. The sandstone cliffs in La Jolla are always an inviting way to explore. Several local companies (like Disco Paddle Surf) offer guided tours, or the gear you need to strike out on your own.
- Parasailing along the coastline. Be honest — you’ve always wanted to try it. And right here is the perfect place to give it a go. When you’re ready to join the ranks of the daredevils, head over to San Diego Parasailing Adventures.
- Ride the waves. “Hanging ten.” “Shooting the curl.” No matter what you want to call it, surfing is as SoCal as it gets. If you’ve got a yearning to learn, our friends at longtime Pacific Beach staple San Diego Surf School can get you up to speed.
Head to SCUBA school. If you think this is a beautiful city on land, you should see what’s beneath the waves! The experts at SCUBA San Diego can show you an underwater world you’ll have to see to believe.
Ocean. Forests. Deserts. Even snow-capped mountains. A big part of what makes this part of the world so appealing to visitors is just how many types of outdoor experiences you can have right close by. So if you’re the type who likes to strike out in search of nature adventures, we’ve got you covered in fine fashion. San Diego has any (or all!) of the following experiences available just moments away.
- Visit Torrey Pines State Natural Preserve. Torrey Pines is one of the most beautiful spots on the West Coast. It’s criss-crossed with hiking trails, overlooking the ocean, and home to an active hang glider port. Plus, it’s one of only two places on earth where the eponymous tree species grows.
- Have a picnic at Sunset Cliffs. Sunsets are truly celestial artworks in San Diego, and there’s perhaps no better place to see one than from atop the sandstone Sunset Cliffs. So bring a blanket, bottle and basket, and enjoy the show.
Stop in to Birch Aquarium. As part of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Birch Aquarium offers visitors interactive displays, a tide-pool exhibit, and 60-plus habitats housing a variety of fascinating and colorful sea life.
The Carlsbad Flower Fields. The breathtaking Carlsbad Flower Fields draw tens of thousands of visitors to a beautiful super-bloom of giant Tecolote ranunculus flowers every spring. Row after row of brilliant rainbow colors ripple across the landscape during the peak months. Be sure to bring your camera!
For Theme Park Fanatics
There’s just something undeniably exhilarating about spending a day white-knuckling through thrill rides, checking out amazing entertainment, and trying your luck winning midway prizes. And if any of that strikes a chord, then San Diego is the place to be! Our local theme parks are world-renowned, and for good reason. Here are some of our local favorites.
- SeaWorld San Diego. SeaWorld has delighted generations of visitors with its entertaining and educational up-close marine-life exhibits of playful seals, orcas, dolphins, and more. Plus — new for 2023 — ride the Arctic Rescue Coaster!
LEGOLand California. Rides, live shows, and larger-than-life displays of brick-based art have delighted families here for more than two decades. The park also offers regular seasonal festivals, fantastic food, and photos with characters.
- Sesame Place. San Diego’s news family attraction is also proving to be one of its most popular, and for good reason. Sesame Place is a delightful destination for all ages, featuring all the charm of one of the most treasured kids’ shows in history.
- Belmont Park. This timeless boardwalk-style waterfront destination is the perfect place to have lots of family fun. Belmont Park is located in picturesque Mission Beach and features favorite attractions like the Giant Dipper coaster.
Heading to “America’s Finest City” to check out your own personalized adventure? Reserve your stay at Pacific Terrace. Our serene beachfront location offers exquisitely comfortable accommodations, guest-first amenities, and a central location convenient to every stop on the list. Take a look at our Special Offers Page for money-saving San Diego travel deals.